1. Educational qualification: You should have passed the Std.10 exam (matriculation exam).
2. Age criteria: You should have been born between 1st October 1996 to 30th September 2000 (both dates inclusive). The age may be relaxed in the case of candidates with higher musical ability.
3. Musical Ability: Selection will be based on merit only. You should be proficient in Aural Aptitude and basic knowledge in Theory of Music, including Staff Notation. You should also have actual practical skills on any instrument of Indian or foreign origin.
4. Types of instruments on which proficiency is required: You will be required to perform with expertise on one or more of the String, Keyboard, Wood-wind, Brass and Percussion instruments, with the ability to tune the instrument and play by ear.
How to apply
Submit your application on A4 size paper only as per the given format. You must submit only one application.
The application must be sent by ordinary post only in a brown envelope. The type of entry, choice of centre and percentage of marks in Std.10 is to be clearly written on top of the envelope containing the application [example: MR Musician - MUMBAI - 67%]
List of documents required to be sent with the applicaion should be punched and tied firmly with a strong thread to the application. The documents are:
(1) Self-attested copy of (a) Matriculation certificate (for verification of date of birth); (b) Class 10 Mark sheet; (c) NCC/Sports Certificate (if applicable); (d) Domicile certificate.
(2) Two self-addressed envelopes of size 22x10cms with Rs.10/- stamp affixed on one envelope.
You must also submit one additional recent coloured passport size photograph along with the application, with your name and signature on the reverse of the photograph. The background of the photograph should be blue. Note that computer generated/digital photographs will not be accepted.
The application must be addressed to:
The Commanding Officer, (for Director of Music),
Mumbai - 400005
Eligible short-listed candidates will be sent call-up letters for preliminary screening for selection, based on musical aptitude, potential and aural ability. The screening test is likely to be held from 10th to 14th July 2017.
Those qualifying through the preliminary screening will be required to undergo a medical exam and medically fit candidates will then proceed to INS Kunjali, Colaba, Mumbai for final screening and selection on All India Basis, scheduled to be held from 4th to 8th September 2017. After final selection, candidates will be enrolled and sent to INS Chilka (Odisha) for initial training.
Note: Qualifying in the physical fitness test and fulfilling the requisite medical standards is mandatory for final selection.
You can get the application form and read the details of the recruitment notification in Hindustan Times, Mumbai edition, dated 14th April 2017, page 9.